To celebrate the migration of the gray whales, the 5th Annual Whalefest will be held this coming Saturday, January 24, 2015 until Sunday, January 25, 2015 on Monterey’s Old Fisherman’s Wharf.
Monterey Bay, California is one of the few places in the world where tourists can see whales all year-round. But this event is extra special as it celebrates the return of gray whales to the Monterey Bay!
Among the highlights of the event will be a symposium with lectures and documentaries related to ocean and marine life conservation presented at the Museum of Monterey at the Stanton Center (MoM) Auditorium and the Wharf Theatre, musical and theatrical performances with a maritime theme, and many educational displays by participating organizations.
There will be thousands of participants and attendees from local families and school children who want to learn more about our maritime environment to visitors from near and far who want to explore the annual whale migration. The two-day event will feature a wide array of fun and informative activities including:
1. A 60-foot model whale – Humphrey the Humpback Whale (attendees can climb inside), on site to honor the migration of his friends, the gray whales.
2. Live musical performances will be provided by:
- Free Concert with Barbara Joy and a Children’s Chorus, & Peggy Stap of Marine Life Studies with her dogWhiskie, The Whale Spotter™
- Nick Fettis and his “Orca”stra
- Michael Martinez
- Kuumbwa Jazz Honor Band
- Monterey High School Jazz Band
- Lenny Sales
- Bill Minor and Richard Rosen
- Jonah& The Whale Watchers
- Michael Brautovich
- Million Dollar Ticket
3. Discounted whale watching trips on the Monterey Bay all day long! Enjoy a $3 off coupons from Randy’s Fishing and Whale Watching Trips, Chris’ Fishing & Whale Watching and Monterey Bay Whale Watch. If you want a whale watching cruise that will benefit others, there will also be an American Cetacean Society Benefit Whale Watching Cruise at 8:00 am on Sunday, January 25th.
4. Fun photo sessions for the whole family with costumed “sea creatures” who will be strolling on the Wharf with a companion including a Mola mola, sea turtle and whale from Save the Whales.
6. Beach and street cleanups by Save Our Shores, Surfrider Foundation and Marine Life Studies Take it to the Streets™. Cleanup will kickstart on Sunday 10 am.
Come and visit Monterey Bay for all these fun activities and more!
Event Dates: Saturday, January 24, 2015 – Sunday, January 25, 2015
Time: 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Monterey’s Old Fisherman’s Wharf
1 Old Fisherman’s Wharf
Monterey, CA 93940
Visit this website for more information.